Saturday, October 10, 2009

The infinite power of God

Andrew Murray wrote "God is a Being of infinite and incomprehensible glory and power. Our mind can form no right conception of what He can do for us. Even when we have His Word and promises, our human thoughts of what He means are always defective. By nothing do we dishonor God more than limiting Him. By nothing do we limit Him more than by allowing our human ideas of what He purposes to be the measure of our expectations."
I often find myself falling into the trap of the ordinary, where my expectations of what God can do in my life and the church and the world become circumscribed by the normal. I forget that if I push through the crowd with the expectation that if I can just touch His cloak, He responds and I will be healed: I touch the supernatural. "And this is the confidence we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked of Him." (1 John 5:14-15) To think less is to diminish God, the very opposite of magnifying him as we are told to do.
What is God's will? Those "great and precious promises" that are contained in His word. Study them, see the greatness of His power and expect great things.
Think big when it comes to prayer. What God has promised, He will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment